Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Group Projects: Why I hate them

In the past semester I've been complaining way too much about group projects and why I don't like them. So, I'm just getting it out of my system right here and now.

I've put up a pic of a nuke to demonstrate what my brain looks like when I hear I've got another group project assigned.

Just for fun, here are some reasons why I hate group projects.

1. Its like the teacher is saying to you "I don't want to do my job teaching you, so you do it"

2. Its more stress than you need, trying to balance a bunch of people's schedules together.

3. The teacher is supposed to be the best one at teaching, as well as being an expert on what ever class they are teaching. Why then, do teachers want students (people who aren't equipped to teach) to teach themselves AND the class!

4. Its a waste of time. Rather than the teacher just giving you information, they force you to go out and get it, even though they already know it. Think of all the information and learning that could be passed along in the time it takes to "form a group."

5. Many times they also want you to make a "presentation" out of your research which is a waste of time for two reasons: one, these are often too long and the students often simply waste time. two, the students are not (or should be) as good of teacher as the instructor of the class. This means that the teacher is forfeiting their own good teaching, for clumsy student teaching.

theres probably more, but i'm too tired to write it.
blah, screw group projects.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you! Group projects are such a joke. It is so stressful trying to work around 4 or 5 different peoples schedules, and you always have that one person who does not do their fair share of work and is just difficult to work with. I also can relate to the fact that you have to make a presentation that the majority of the class doesn't pay attention to and then you are expected to have a really good understanding of the material that the teacher should be teaching.
    I concur that group projects are added stress to our already hectic schedules and that teachers should come up with better ways to evaluate our learning, while also embracing our creativity and busy lives.

    ReplyDelete